Sunday 4 May 2014

Over sexualised music videos : Wild Wild Love- Pitbull ft G.R.L

Music videos are becoming increasingly sexual, it's a topic that get brought up a lot and it's also a subject that lots of people argue about. A lot.
I've decided to dedicate a series of posts about music videos that are over sexualised and I've started with a Wild Wild Love.

I was sitting at home with a friend watching music video channels when our eyes were exposed to Wild Wild Love by Pitbull ft G.R.L, until that point I haven't actually seen this video properly and having seen it properly it made me cringe a little.
My friend was pretty horrified, maybe I've been desensitised to this kind of thing so I wasn't quite as horrified. (I'm not going to lie I was a slightly horrified.)

I'm sorry, I'm going to be honest but I'm not a Pitbull fan.
I just feel that the songs he features on would be a lot better without him, sorry.
I have to admit he is a pretty good producer however.





Catch the video here:




The video for Wild Wild Love was basically just Pitbull going to the Play Boy mansion to do some business-esque things amongst the bunnies who all posed provocatively the whole video.
This couldn't have been very comfortable or practical for the women because no what they were doing, whether it be walking, sitting or even loitering in the background they all posed.
Most of them just kind of arched their backs and felt their hips, legs, hair, faces whatever. Like so:









Not that it's a problem, they can arch their backs and feel themselves as much as they like and it doesn't effect me.
Besides I like to think that the audience can appreciate what they are doing that to emphasise their assets for the sake of the video, not because that is how the normally stand/sit/walk.

But Pitbill however didn't do anything to try to (er...) emphasise his assets as it were, not that I want him to emphasise anything but I just feel this is a double standard.
he just kind of stood or sat there whilst these women walked around him or sat beside him arching their backs, touching their legs and just generally loitering in the background seductively.

He looked awkward. 








If he was posing with a girl he would keep the same straight face, if he was about to get a little closer to one of the girls he would grin.
He looked more relaxed when he was rapping/singing/talking/whatever.

I think he was intimidated by the bunnies, I guess that's understandable seeing as their job is to make men weak at the knee's. I don't think Pitbull knew quite what to do with himself so he did his best to not get too over excited thus resulting in an awkward I'm-just-going-to-stand-here-and-not-react-to-beautiful-women-or-my-brain-will-explode kind of performance.


I guess you could interpret this differently, you could argue that the women are being treated as sexual objects, the PlayBoy brand is pretty much built on the objectification of women and whether you see it as women using their bodies to impress men and make money or as men using these women's appearance to earn money these women are still used as sexual objects.

This video could strengthen the idea that women only exist to please men, I however stand by the belief that Pitbull, Pitbull's manager or the video's director was a feeling little perverted and just wanted to go to The PlayBoy Mansion and that was probably no deeper meaning to the video.





No comments:

Post a Comment