Monday 16 December 2013

Counting Crows - Accidentally in Love Video analysis


Accidentally in Love was released in 2004 and featured in the film Shrek 2.

I think I might have preferred Shrek 2 to the first Shrek film, I liked the first and second film, I wasn't so keen on the 3rd and I thought the 4th film was a little bit better than the 3rd one.

This music video isn't really so much about Shrek as it is about an anthropomorphic rabbit who steals a mans girlfriend whilst the man makes her breakfast.





The video features Ashley Roberts from the pussycat dolls as the girl and Model Steve Vanda as the man.

The video starts with the woman a sleep on the bed with "stuffed animals", the man is sitting on the end of the bed watching the sequence that uses the song  in the Shrek 2, he gets up and goes into the kitchen.

She sleeps in her knickers (underpants) and a vest, he is also in his underwear so that would imply that they had sex, I presume that they are a couple and live together.(opposed to a one night stand but I will get to that later.)

Both the man and the woman are attractive, the man is fairly muscular and the woman is curved but slim, like the old saying "sex sells" the couple are very attractive and are possibly used to sell the song to the audience.

As the man leaves enters the kitchen he does a front flip, the maneuver is clumsy and he wobbles as he lands, the landing shakes the room and knocks a frying pan on the floor.
The sound of the frying pan wakes the woman, she looks irritated and pulls a pillow out from under the "stuffed" rabbit, the rabbit falls off the bed.

I think the man is meant to appear clumsy and over confident so that the woman is given a reason to find him unattractive.

As the rabbit hits the floor he starts singing to the girl, she isn't aware of his presence, Because the song is being played on the TV she doesn't realise the rabbit is singing the lyrics.

The rabbit enters the kitchen to find the man dancing provocatively and kissing his biceps, again he is shown to clearly over confident, he also seems to prefer dancing to cooking her breakfast so he is probably the sort of person who puts things off he is however kind, considerate and romantic to try to make her breakfast, even if that breakfast isn't great.

The man tosses some sort of pan or dish over his shoulder, the noise it makes as it falls on the floor annoys the woman.

I think the man must be a dancer of some sort, maybe amateur because he's clumsy but he can perform a flip which takes some skill, on the lyrics " Turn a Little faster" he perform a full turn.
The actor clearly has some experience in dance which is being used to some extent but there is a "awkward" look to his dancing, he knocks things over and throws things, the routine looks improvised.
He seems immature too.

The rabbit starts dancing on the table and the man drinks milk from the carton, that seems a little inconsiderate seeing as (if the apartment is shared) the woman might also want the milk, he means well and we wants to please his girlfriend but unfortunately he's just a little immature.

Shrek 2 is shown to be on the TV in the kitchen too as the man tries cooking eggs but he drops them,the woman reacts to the eggs being dropped. (I can't imagine eggs being dropped would be that noticeable unless the man had reacted loudly to dropping the eggs that maybe he could've annoyed her.)

The man picks up the eggs from the floor and puts them in a mixing bowl, maybe he's slightly stupid (because cooking egg you just picked up off the floor isn't a great idea) or maybe he is a little thoughtless.

He breaks a plate, everything falls out of the cupboard and he throws flour all over the kitchen and adds some flour to a mixing bowl.
I feel a little bad for him because I'm pretty clumsy myself, I've broken countless plates and everything falls out of cupboards when I open them, I'm not as bad as him but I'm pretty bad.

I think it's sad that it irritated his girlfriend that much but at the same time I can see how a person like that can be really annoying and for some people that might be a ground breaker but then again for others it might not bother them (well not as much.)

The man makes a her a drink in a blender and fry's the batter in the mixing bowl to make pancakes, the hob burst into flames, the drink in the blender over flows and the pancake sticks to the ceiling.

I wouldn't say he was really undomesticated because he knew how to make pancakes he just made a lot of noise and a big mess, he probably doesn't cook too often so maybe that could be another thing that annoyed the girl.

As the man waits for the pancake to descend from the ceiling the rabbit returns to the bedroom and the pancake falls on the mans head.
This shows he isn't the most competent when it comes to cooking, he also seems a little oblivious because he didn't react to the pancake falling on his head right away.(it also appears he isn't aware of the rabbit's presences.)

The woman wakes up to see the rabbit whilst the man tops the pancake with whipped cream, the woman is not shocked by the rabbit being alive which would indicate she knew he was alive.

The rabbit points his thumb into the direction of the window, the woman pulls on a denim mini skirt and they leave through the window and down the fire escape.
The man returns with the breakfast to find the bedroom empty, there is a closeup of a holiday theme photo frame with an old photo of the girl an the rabbit. (taken prior to the events of he music video.)



The Photo frame suggests that the Rabbit and girl are close, I would presume the rabbit was like a childhood toy/imaginary friend of the girl and that she choose the "old friend" over the good looking (albeit dopey) man.
I do think it's a little sad, the man obviously cared about her and treated her well but he wasn't as good of a match for her.

I don't think it's meant to be taken literally, i.e the woman didn't leave her home and her boyfriend for a stuffed rabbit. It's more conceptual than that.

I think she lived together with her boyfriend because while her "stuffed" rabbit and photo were in the apartment she left the apartment with the boyfriend so it would imply it was as much his as it was hers but because she wasn't feeling the same way for the man as the man did for her she left the apartment (and probably just to get away.)

I think the message of the video is that if you don't think the person you're with is the "one" or if you think you love someone else more you should probably leave them, I know that sounds cold but I think it's better for both parties.

The rabbit was probably meant to represent an old friend who the woman realised (in particularly when the man had annoyed her despite the fact he was trying to cook for her.) that despite her boyfriends kind nature there was something about his personality that she couldn't deal with and then noticed that she really loved the one person who had been there all along.

The song's message it's self is pretty simple, it's about falling in love accidentally.
The singer didn't intend to fall in love for possible reasons for example maybe there was a third or fourth person involved in the relationship, maybe he thought the woman didn't feel the same or maybe the timing was bad.
The songs message fits the message of the first Shrek film to a T.
Shrek wasn't meant to fall in love with the princess, he was meant to rescue her for Lord Farquard.
It was put at the start of the second film to show how the couple developed, it also explains their relationship well.

The song meaning and the meaning of the video fit well, you could argue that the Rabbit didn't mean to fall in love with the girl or the girl with the rabbit because she was in a relationship.

The problem with this kind of relationship break down, the kind of break up where one person has fallen out off love with the other there is someone who hasn't fallen out of love but I do think that sometimes it's better if the relationship ends. I would rather someone dump me so I could move on opposed to staying with me out of sympathy and wasting everyone's time.

I feel a little sad now, I made myself feel sad about a man who's heart was broken by a women who fell in love with a rabbit.
I'm my own worst enemy.

I would love to know what you thought in the comments, maybe you think it means something else or have some sort of information I'm missing.
If anything silly ever made you feel a little sad (like a rabbit/man/girl love triangle) please let me know so I don't feel so crazy.


6 comments:

  1. Are you serious that this has been up since December of 2013 and there's not a single comment here? I just have to say... I have quite a few things to say to be honest. I'm going through a really rough time right now. My husband and I have split and not for the first time I can't even tell you which time this is to be completely honest. I'm having a really hard time figuring out what the best move is from where I'm currently at, if it's to tell him I love him and to come home, or if it's to walk away for good this time. The analysis of this video literally kicked my soul right in his butthole to make my entire being clinched. I watch this video for the very first time today in April of 2021 because it kept popping up on my YouTube as a suggested video. I'm really into the universe and how it speaks to you with signs and everything to do in regards to that like Tarot readings and Spirit guides... When I first realized how accurate my signs could be I asked the universe to always speak to me through music whether it be my YouTube channel or the radio in my car or any kind of audio at all really. I know who counting Crows are but off the top of my head I couldn't think of why I knew them. But the title is what caught my attention because I accidentally fell in love with the man who is now my husband and to be even more ironic with my finding this video and this blog in this exact moment I wanted to let it be known and if you look at my email to verify my husband and I got together one day after this blog was posted on December 17th 2013. I am completely mind blown right now. Everything that was said on this page completely clicked with me. When I first watched the video it started getting me in my feelings about my husband because that's exactly how he is and it made me feel bad reading this because I guess I do get a little aggravated, a little more than just a little I should say, with the things he does but most of the time it just like in this video he's trying to do something extremely sweet for me. When the very end of the video came and she ran out with the rabbit and he walked in with the breakfast even after he turned around to get her flowers I could feel that pain that he was meant to portray. Every single bit of it. Because I'm having such a hard time deciding to let the man I've loved more than anything in the world come back home after 8 years of forgiving him for cheating and hurting my heart or if I should go ahead and move forward and let somebody else have a chance. I didn't know how to take the end of this video so I had to research what it meant and even if this isn't the actual meaning of it and just a point of opinion it popped up for me so I know that I was meant to be here to help me with what I'm going through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband swears he loves me even though I'm confused on whether to believe him or not after everything that's went down. And he has taken a step he never has before by making the truth to me that I already knew but for once he came to me without me having to force him with details and evidence and he told me all on his own what he had done wrong. I told him I'd never give him a chance to fix us until the truth was revealed. The very next day is when he told me. And I'm still in my own head about it because I just don't want to make the wrong decision and I definitely don't want to be hurt anymore. But watching this video and feeling that man's pain for going through all that for that girl just to walk in and find her gone, I'm an empath and even though that was pretend for our entertainment I still felt every bit of what that pain would have been like in that moment and I think I was supposed to see this to help me with my answer. There's no way I could put my husband through that kind of pain no matter what kind I've been through for him my love is extremely real and I don't ever want him to feel like that. I want to thank you so much for making this I hope you're still able to get notifications and you'll see my comment. You're not crazy at all I feel exactly the way you said you felt when you made this. I also got sad over a man woman rabbit love triangle and it's so crazy how relevant it is to my current situation and even crazier than it was posted only one single day before he and I very first got together. And we have had a very on and off relationship since day one and yes we got married, maybe we're soulmates. This is too much to be a coincidence, This was meant to be the sign I asked the universe to give me. I don't usually listen to the genre of music counting Crows would be included in especially not these days as my emotions are all over the place I've been more into the sad music or the piss off music and there's really no in between. But for some reason even though all I've done lately is watch tarot readings this specific song and video never fail to pop up every time I refreshed my list every single day for at least the past two weeks. I'm not even really sure who I'm talking to here or why I'm even putting all this in a comment. Maybe I meant to help somebody else along the line by putting this in writing who knows. But I want to express my gratitude for this page existing because I was almost about to give up and walk away having no faith that he is really telling the truth and not just trying to manipulate me. This one single click of a website just melted my entire heart and transitioned my entire energy field. I just want to keep saying thank you over and over again. If anybody out there doubts the universe's power or the power of manifestation or Angels or Spirit guides or even God whatever it is that your faith names the higher power it is extremely real and if you ask you shall receive. I asked for a very clear sign today because everything's been so confusing and I don't even know why other than the title of the song that I clicked on it because anytime I've told our story I have always said that my husband came to me when I didn't even want it I wasn't looking for anybody I wasn't interested in anything at all when it came to sharing my life with another person I was just fine being me by myself. But somehow he seemed to touch my heart and one day I woke up and looked at him and it suddenly hit me like a semi truck that I had fallen in love with him and it was already too late to back out. That was 8 years ago the day after this was posted and we made it official with each other. This blog probably just saved my marriage as well as my husband's heart thank you so very much....

      Delete
  2. I had to break that into multiple comments because I wrote too much to make it just one single comment. But anyway today is about to be a good day do you have giving me a huge blessing in the universe once again has delivered a message that I have asked to receive. 💯🖤👰🤵🖤💯

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to comment one more time because after rereading what I've written I realized at least on my end of things it doesn't show any username for me it just says unknown so I wanted to come back to clarify that my username is supposed to be mrmrsfowler1213 🖤👰🤵🖤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you guys stay together?

      Delete
    2. Yes. I'm curious now, too, to see what happened. ... Probably will never know. 🤷‍♀️... But I hope they got back together, he was sorry and truly repented for what he did. And they got counseling and worked it out and they both lived " happily ever after ". ♥️

      Delete